Saturday 12 May 2018

Trucker with an ostomy

As a trucker with an ostomy procedure, life has been relatively easy for me, all things considered. In reality, I actually have some advantages of being a trucker with an ostomy bag. I suffered a very serious injury that required me to get a permanent colostomy procedure. As a trucker, my life is a relatively simple. I was just driving from one end of the continent to another. I do get to go home from time to time and relax, which is very nice to take a break and just relax. 


One day after picking up my haul, I began hedging to the destination. It was not any more than a few states over, so it was a relatively easy trek. On my way to the destination, I had encountered another trucker with a bit of road rage. This is not a good thing to have as a trucker because you are hauling thousands of pounds of cargo, and people are depending on you. Somehow I made him mad, and he tried to cut me off. Just before he could, I slowed down so nothing would happen. When he missed me per se, he got back over to his lane and matched my speed. He then rammed me with his truck. I wish I were joking. He rammed me with his truck and shoved me off the road into a ditch, where I came flying out of the front windshield and landed on a guard rail. 


When I woke up, I was in the back of an ambulance being rushed to the emergency room. The doctors in the back with me told me that I had severe damage to my stomach area and should be prepared for the worst. When I got to the emergency room, the doctor immediately wanted to get a scan of my stomach after seeing all the bruising that had developed. After the scan, he told me that my large intestine had taken some severe damage, and I also had a broken rib. To fix this, I needed to get a permanent colostomy bag. I was not all that worried about the procedure because I knew it would help me. 

After a few weeks of healing, I was contacted by an insurance company saying I was at fault. Without bothering to reply with words, I set them the dashcam footage from my truck and photos of my situation as well as my truck after that fool did what he did. They apologized profusely and went after the guy who was really at fault. As a trucker having this ostomy bag has actually been a help. I don’t need to stop for the bathroom at all unless I need to empty my bag. Also, since I do not have any crazy movements or anything like that, I am able to do my job with ease. 



I really don’t mind having an ostomy bag as my career can actually benefit from not needing to stop as much. I’m able to make more money now because I can make fewer stops which means I get to my destination faster. Having an ostomy as a truck driver has not been bad one bit. I enjoy my job, and I’m glad my situation does not prevent me from doing what I need to do to make money and support myself and my family. 


No comments:

Post a Comment